From the first militiamen to set foot in the proprietary colony of Maryland in 1634 to the gallant men and women serving in today’s armed forces at home and overseas, Maryland has a rich and exciting military legacy. The Maryland Military Historical Society exists to ensure that this legacy is preserved, perpetuated, and presented to the public.
Formed in 1982 to preserve and interpret the history, heritage, and memory of Maryland’s organized militia, the Society was the driving force behind the establishment of what is now enshrined in Maryland Law as the Maryland Center for Military History. The Center includes the Maryland Museum of Military History and the Maryland Military Historical Research Center. While the militia remains a prime focus of the Society, it works to preserve the memory of the military accomplishments of all Maryland soldiers and airmen.
To advance this mission, the Society provides dedicated support to the Maryland Museum of Military History and the Maryland Military Historical Research Center through donations and fund-raising, program development, volunteerism, and active partnerships with other educational and historic preservation organizations. The Society conducts educational visits and instructional programs at sites of significance to Maryland military history, and works with educational institutions from elementary school through college level to develop and present curriculum about Maryland’s military history.
Our members include distinguished citizens from all walks of life. From current and former members of our nation’s military to educational professionals to successful businessmen, the Society is home to anyone with a love for military history in Maryland.
The Maryland Military Historical Society, Inc., is a non-profit charitable organization recognized under section 501(c)(3) of the federal tax code. Donations to the Society are deductible for federal income tax purposes. Consult with your tax advisor for more details.
The offices of the Maryland Military Historical Society are located at the historic Fifth Regiment Armory in downtown Baltimore.